Guarding the Good Deposit

"Follow the pattern of sound words...in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you." 2 Timothy 1:13, 14 *** Biblically-related ramblings from Pastor Jason, Northside Calvary Church, Racine, Wisconsin ***

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Reminders of Love

Since I haven't posted in awhile it is probably best if I bring you all up to date. First, my dad has not decided about treatment at this point. We are meeting with the oncologist on Wednesday--perhaps that will help with the decision-making process. My dad is doing well--too well, actually, as it is nearly impossible to get him to take it easy. As a result, he has some swelling in his face and eyes, so much so that one eye is almost swollen shut. He also has blurred vision in that eye.

I have been busy doing a lot of things for my dad, including running him around town since he can't drive. So, I'm tired! There have been many good things, too. Here is how Allison described yesterday:

Today has been a sweet day. The first half of the day saw four different visitors stop by to see Jason’s dad. The first was one who wants to have us all over for supper on Sunday. We’ve only just met her this trip, but she attended my father-in-law’s last church. The next was a lady whom he served as pastor for sixteen years. She’s been through some difficult days in the time he’s known her, and he has been a steady source of wisdom and encouragement. Her appreciation for him is obvious, but she wanted to be sure he knew it again.

About mid-morning, the pastor of the church my in-laws presently attend called. Would there be an extra place at the table at lunchtime? Sure, my mother-in-law said. The pastor said that another pastor friend, Rex, would be coming through town right at noon, and he’d stop in. We so enjoyed this man’s visit. It turned out that I’d met him before years ago—nine years, to be exact. The first summer we were married, we lived twenty-five miles from here on a ranch where Jason worked. During that summer, John MacArthur spoke at a family camp just up the road, and we went to hear a question and answer session. I guess I met Rex that night, although I really don’t remember. He reminisced with my in-laws and Jason, too, about mutual friends.

As we were finishing up our meal, a knock came at the door. It was an old man, slow on his feet and a tremor in his hands. His wife is a resident at the local nursing home where Jason’s dad leads a Bible study. This man, Jim, comes to hear him teach and play his guitar. He sat down at the table with us, and the six of us enjoyed true fellowship in the Lord.

Jim prepared to leave, and Rex, the visiting pastor friend, asked if he would lead us all in prayer. His sweet words brought tears to my eyes as he asked God to give Jason’s dad wisdom as he considers treatment options and, if it is God’s will, he asked for a miracle of healing. He reminded my father-in-law of his love for him as he left. After thirty minutes or so, Rex decided to leave too. Before he did, though, he prayed with us again.

These visits are reminders of how loved my father-in-law is. He’s a man who’s lived out what it is to be a pastor—taking an interest in people’s lives, being available to them, doing whatever he could (including a lot of physical labor) for them. The result? He’s well loved and respected, but I think this attention is a surprise to him. He doesn’t realize, I don’t think, just how important he is to so many people.

6 Comments:

Blogger Day at a Time said...

Jason and Allison,
I'm praying for you both and your family - I can empathize with what you're going through. Isn't it great to have a sovereign God who sees the big picture? Isn't it comforting to relax in His will?
Isn't it strength-giving to know that the situation is His?

In reading your last post, I was wondering what camp you were talking about? Clydehurst?

Linda

5/21/2006 08:46:00 PM  
Blogger Pastor Jason said...

Linda,

Thanks for the reminders--yes, it is greatly comforting to know that He is in control, and nothing is a surprise to Him.

Oh, yes, it was/is Clydehurst.

5/21/2006 11:37:00 PM  
Blogger Day at a Time said...

Small world.
Ken and I spoke at the two junior-camp weeks at Clydehurst from the time we first went to Racine until just a few years ago. We would go our every three or four years - I think we were there seven or eight summers. So we know the area well - including the Crazy Mountains. I can tell you the location of just about every store in Big Timber and where the Road Kill Cafe is (or at least was).

5/22/2006 08:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Linda. It *is* a small world. Jason's dad pastored the First Evangelical Free Church of Big Timber from 1989 to May of 2005, and his parents still live here. I'm sure you'd recognize the ranch where Jason worked and we lived, because it's right on the road up the Boulder toward Clydehurst. The owners of that ranch owned the Oakland A's until 1993 or so, so the A's flag flew over the ranch part of the summer. Were you here the summer "The Horse Whisperer" was filmed along the Boulder River? That's the summer we lived and worked at Beaver Meadows Ranch. We haven't driven up the Boulder this visit (although I'm pretty sure we will), so we'll have to let you know if the Road Kill Cafe' is still there.

Allison

5/22/2006 11:36:00 PM  
Blogger Day at a Time said...

Hi again,
We weren't there the summer they filmed the Horse Whisperer, but we were there the summer before and Wayne and Judy (directors at C.H.) showed us the house that was being built for the movie.

But we were there the summer they filed a River Runs Through It and all the cast trailers were in the Clydehurst field right next to the cabin we were staying in. They went into town to sleep - but were there all day. Robert Redford walked through camp a couple times and all the girl crew members would immediately appear out of nowhere. Brad Pitt was there, too, and there were whispers that someday he would be a big star!

I think I remember the Oakland A flag. I feel like I know that road well. We would always be at camp two weeks and would go into town at least twice a week - so back and forth - through Dip town, McLeod, etc.

When our kids think back to going to camp - they think Clydehurst - although they were at other camps, too.

5/23/2006 07:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fun! During the filming of "The Horse Whisperer," Robert Redford came onto "our" ranch to scout out a shooting location, and I saw him from the kitchen window of our cabin. I was surprised at how short he was. That was my brush with greatness. :-)

Allison

5/23/2006 11:21:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home