Guarding the Good Deposit

"Follow the pattern of sound words...in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you." 2 Timothy 1:13, 14 *** Biblically-related ramblings from Pastor Jason, Northside Calvary Church, Racine, Wisconsin ***

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The Presence of My God

I am writing this as I watch the snow drifting down from the grey sky. I know many do not like or in any way enjoy snow, but it has always been a comfort to me. It is a symbol of "home," of quiet peacefulness. There is also a sense of the presence of God when it snows. Just as each snowflake is unique, unlike any other, so our God is unique and unlike any other. Isaiah writes of God, "...I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like Me" (Isaiah 46:9).

Psalm 139 also speaks of the presence of God. In verses 7-12 there are several statements made describing God's presence in creation. Verse 7 contains a rhetorical question asking where one can go to escape God. The answer is an assumed "nowhere!" The rest of the verses comment on the question and answer:

-- God is present if I were to go into heaven or the grave.
-- God is present if I were to follow the sun in its circuit around the earth.
-- God is present if I were in the depths of the sea -- in fact, even there God will lead me, and God's right hand (a symbol of strength and authority), will hold me.
-- If I were to remain in darkness or light, even there God is present.

The point is the totality of the presence of God -- He is everywhere, and understands everything about me.

Before you get overwhelmed with your day, your problems, your circumstances, or your life in general, remember the snow: God is unique, and there is none like Him, and He is present everywhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home