Guarding the Good Deposit

"Follow the pattern of sound words...in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you." 2 Timothy 1:13, 14 *** Biblically-related ramblings from Pastor Jason, Northside Calvary Church, Racine, Wisconsin ***

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Mary's God

Mary J. Blige says she has found religion, but she makes no apologies for her earthly materialism. In fact, she says God has willed her to wear bling.

"My God is a God who wants me to have things," the singer tells May's Blender magazine. "He wants me to bling. He wants me to be the hottest thing on the block. I don't know what kind of God the rest of y'’all are serving, but the God I serve says, "Mary, you need to be the hottest thing this year, and I'’m gonna make sure you're doing that."”

I guess that means the God I serve is not the same as Mary's god. Would someone please tell me where in the Bible (also known as God's revealed will for humanity) I can find all this "bling" stuff? I seem to have missed it somewhere.

I think I also need help in understanding how this fits in with my devotions for today from Luke 6. "Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God" (v. 20). "But woe to you who are rich, for you have received your consolation" (v. 24). Oh, and one more thing... could someone tell me how this fits into Romans 12:1, "I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice..." Where is the sacrifice in Mary?

Okay, okay, you know I can't resist. What about 1 Timothy 2:9, "likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire..."

Facetiousness is so fun! But seriously, isn't it sad that she is serving a god of her own making?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess when we want what we want, we can pretend God has told us. He apparantly was pretty personal with telling her about her bling! I guess according to her god, something is wrong with me because I don't even come close to having any bling.

4/20/2006 09:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home